Re: TR library extensions

Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

Martin Sebor <sebor@roguewave.com> writes:

| Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
| > | I've been using gcc -threads and gcc -pthreads with the same compiler
| > | on Solaris (at least with 2.95.2), so unless that's changed I think
| > | you're mistaken (or we're talking about different things).
| > You've been using something not guaranteed. The (GCC-3.x) doc says:
| | Are you saying this because you *know* that it may cause problems
| or are you just getting from the blurb below?

[...]

| No, but it doesn't say I can't either. I sincerely hope you're wrong

Cross your finger and pray hard I'm getting from blurb.

You compile the library you're linking against with one threading
model, thus with with a thread model that affect things like stack
unwinding. You compile your program with a different threading model,
thus with a different model that affect stack unwiding. Link them together and say I'm getting from blurb?

With all respect, unless you can show an example that breaks I believe you are wrong in this case. Which of the two libraries is used has no effect on stack unwinding on SunOS. Both the Solaris threads library and the POSIX threads library on SunOS are compatible and functionally interchangeable, meaning that programs can use them both at the same time, mixing calls to functions from one and the other. I have a large body of tested code that shows no problems with either option using the same compiler. I suggest you read the Sun docs before spreading this kind of FUD. Here's a link that might be helpful: http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/805-5080/6j4q7emhs?a=view

Regards
Martin