Re: Something about std::list<> member functions.

Dhruv Matani wrote:

I was wondering why in std::list<>, the functions merge, unique, sort,
... are implemented twice, once for the less than operator, and once for
the template argument one. Why can't it be coded just once for the more
general version, and pass std::less<> to then more general one, when the
less general one is called?

Good question! But this kind of thing is not limited to the std::list class, the generic algorithms in stl_algobase.h and stl_algo.h also currently have duplicated code for functions with and without comparison objects or predicate objects as they're sometimes called.

Unless there is a good reason for not doing this, I would be happy to submit a patch for std::list.

Cheers,

Gawain