renaming configure.in

The new autotools prefer the master script file to be called configure.ac,
deprecating configure.in.  There are wrappers for the tools which try to
guess whether the user wants 2.13 or a 2.new tool to be executed, based
on the filename and its contents.  I suspect many of us will be using
such wrappers -- I was actually using one without knowing it -- and have
discovered that the wrappers occasionally get it wrong.  If we rename
the file to configure.ac, then the wrappers don't even have to guess.
(The name hadn't been invented at the time of 2.13.)

Since the most intersting chunks of history (the cross bits) have already
vanished from configure.in (into a separate file), there doesn't seem to
be much reason to keep the old name.

Opinions?

Phil, Destroyer of [CVS] History

by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
    - Brian W. Kernighan