Re: What's the name of this library? (was: Re: autotools transition report: v 28.07)

Phil Edwards <phil@jaj.com> writes:

| On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 09:18:52AM +0200, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
| > Phil Edwards <phil@jaj.com> writes:
| > |
| > | "+" is not part of any natural language alphabet.
| >
| > Do you have any reference for that assertion?
|
| No.  Natural languages are merely a hobby of mine, not a profession, but
| I've never come across a written language which includes '+'.  Do you
| have any counterexamples?

I have examples of languages (in the country where I grew up) where
symbols like + are used in sentences.  Thoise languages are part of
Bantou family language.

[...]

| Things that look for words will not find "++".  It's not a hypothetical
| proposal, it's something that rears its head and bites us every now
| and again.

Then, they have the wrong definition of word :-)
Didn't you never use a lanague where plain ++ is an *identifier*?
PostScript is one such language, and it was invented  in the early mid
'80.  It is not like we're inventing here.

Ah, there is a notion of "meta characters" for broken grammars :-)

-- Gaby