Re: Troubles with current 3.3 and 21_strings/ctor_copy_dtor.cc

> I wanted to apply the fix for 11528 to the branch too and I noticed that the
> unpatched sources behave *very* strangely for me on this testcase: all the
> physical memory is used and the system becomes unusable. Probably, after a
> while it would crash, but I managed to stop 'make check' with CTRL-C.
>
> Weird, never seen something like this before.
>
> Is anyone seeing something vaguely similar?
>
> My system is P4, 512 MB, linux2.4.20, glibc2.3.2.

Hi Paolo

I'm seeing similar here (except the machine manages to survive the memory
exhaustion).

It looks to be configury related. I used to get this:-

checking for sys/stat.h... (cached) yes
checking for sys/types.h... (cached) yes
checking for getpagesize... (cached) yes
checking for working mmap... (cached) yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking for sys/time.h... (cached) yes
checking for sys/resource.h... (cached) yes
checking for testsuite memory limit support... yes
checking for setenv declaration... yes
checking for setenv... (cached) yes
checking for shared libgcc... yes
checking versioning on shared library symbols... gnu
updating cache ../config.cache

Now I get this:-

checking for sys/stat.h... (cached) yes
checking for sys/types.h... (cached) yes
checking for getpagesize... (cached) yes
checking for working mmap... (cached) yes
checking for shared libgcc... yes
checking versioning on shared library symbols... gnu
updating cache ../config.cache

Notice the lack of "checking for testsuite memory limit support" (amongst
other missing bits) ? That test will normally define _GLIBCPP_MEM_LIMITS in
config.h. But because it is now undefined, the call to
__gnu_cxx_test::set_memory_limits() is not working as pointed out by Phil
Edwards.

My logs are sporadic, but the last time it worked for me was on the 26th of
last month.

I'm not sure why the configury is failing but will try to investigate..

Thanks
Greg