Re: Getting Apple's libstdc++ debug mode into the FSF tree

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 11:22:59PM +0200, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

> | ...  It's off there only because
> | that's the way Red Hat builds it.  They build it that way because that's
> | the default.  (Likewise in Debian.)
>
> Well, there are still packaging problems/education.  System
> distributors always have the choice to bundle GCC as they want.

Generally distros ship the default unless there are obvious reasons
not to.  (E.g. more apps with bad code than they can afford to fix?
But they have had to do a lot more work just to get to gcc-3 at all.)

> That is no argumennt to say the concept checking should not be on by
> default (I'm much worried by the false postives report we got in the
> past and instantiation difficulties) but just to point out that
> whatever GCC decides, systems packagers have control on build options.

I'm much concerned about the false positives as well, but am confident
that they can be fixed quickly once actually filed.  Most won't be
filed until it's the default.

Instantiation problems?  Let concept checking be off by default on
those hosts where it causes instantiation problems.  We shouldn't
let marginal targets drive mainstream default choices unnecessarily.
Anyway that makes it a lot easier to keep the no-concept-checks mode
exercised and working.  By the time those targets fall away (or
resolve their instantiation problems) there will be little or no need
for that mode anyhow.

Nathan Myers
ncm-nospam@cantrip.org