Re: Getting Apple's libstdc++ debug mode into the FSF tree

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 11:02:21PM +0200, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> Benjamin Kosnik <bkoz@redhat.com> writes:
>
> | >I'm in favor of concept checking being on by default, period.
> |
> | You and me both. However, it does impact codegen, or it did the last
> | time somebody looked closely. I thought that was the reason it was off
> | by default. (As well as instantiation difficulties on non-ELF platforms,
> | but perhaps this has been resolved now.)
>
> We also got some reports about false positives.

That's more troubling than code generation differences.  Still,
that's a bug report to file.  Again, it's probably already fixed in
the Boost.org codebase.  If concept checking were on by default, the
false positives would end up in bugzilla and boost's fix would find
its way into libstdc++.

When I turned it on at my office, our 200KLOC library failed to compile
because of three errors -- violations of requirements tables -- it
detected.  They were easy to fix.  However, I can't get everybody using
it because on the target machines it's off.  It's off there only because
that's the way Red Hat builds it.  They build it that way because that's
the default.  (Likewise in Debian.)

Nathan Myers
ncm-nospam@cantrip.org