Re: [Patch] Fix libstdc++/11378 (take2) + xsputn optmizations

Andreas Jaeger wrote:

The issue here is ABI stability; if a platform doesn't have large file
support now, but gets it in the future it should be possible to enable
large file support in basic_filebuf without breaking the ABI.

My point here is type safety, we should use the proper types and not
invent some int64_t that works today but breaks in the future
(remember when everybody used long instead of off_t - or even int?
That makes it quite difficult to convert programs to off64_t).

First blush, I'm definitely on Andreas side, even if I see that Pétur has a point...

We should not stabilize a "dirty" (dunno if this is really good english, sorry), non type safe ABI for the sake of non-existant systems!