Re: [libstdc++] Port-specific symbol exports, porting notes

Phil Edwards <phil@jaj.com> writes:

> On Sun, Jul 06, 2003 at 03:56:26PM -0400, Phil Edwards wrote:
>> Is there any particular need for GCC 3.4 to support symbol versioning under
>> binutils 2.11?  The globbing fix was in 2.12.  I'd prefer to remove the
>> "if it can magically handle wildcards" test altogether, which will restore
>
> And after testing, this is how it looks.  For 3.3, we required either
> binutils 2.12 or a gnu linker with a Linux vendor backport.  I have a
> difficult time imagining Linux vendors shipping 3.4 but not a post-2.11
> binutils, so I submit that this fallback test has served its purpose and can

So have I, distributions will not cause a problem directly - but the
problem is developers not using the latest binutils but developing GCC
mainline.  We should support them.

> go gently into that good night.  (And many thanks to Jakub for originally
> creating it.)

So, with 2.11 we do not create symbol versions?  In that case we
should write out a big warning message that the library is
incompatible - or abort completly.  A silent failure is IMO worse in
this case,

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger, aj@suse.de, http://www.suse.de/~aj
  SuSE Linux AG, Deutschherrnstr. 15-19, 90429 Nürnberg, Germany