make install fails

The recent changes from CPP to CXX have completely broken make install
for me.  The symptom I've found so far is that configure is finding
gcc 3.3 (which is installed and on my path) instead of the gcc 3.4 in
the build directory.  From there, it wants to install the headers into
/usr/local/include/c++/3.3.

I'm trying to check out backdated configury, but this is a pain.

Thanks,
Jerry
jlquinn@optonline.net