need help with std::char_traits<unsigned short> methods

Hi. I'm working on porting a game to linux, and have it all compiling now. The
only thing that stands between me and running the thing in linux is linking
problems at the end about missing functions in std::char_traits<unsigned
short> (we need assign, length, copy, move and compare).

I've searched this list and looked around a bit, but i'm still uncertain about
how to handle this. Is it okay to simply create the missing
std::char_traits<unsigned short> functions in a header file ? I seem to
remember that overloading std is undefined.. What other options are there ?

Note if any give examples of how to fix this, the code may be used in
commercial products later (although this current one is open source), so
don't give examples if you're not okay with that.

Thank you for any help,
- Gerry JJ