Re: gettext markup of library sources

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 06:21:37PM -0400, Jonathan Lennox wrote:
> Benjamin Kosnik writes:
> > However, these __throw_* functions are just wrappers, so that
> > -fno-exceptions can be used.  See src/functexcept.cc. That might be a
> > better place to put this translation machinery, since we know that all
> > exceptions go through this choke point already...
>
> I imagine that the vast majority of exceptions never have their what()
> strings requested.  Could the translation machinery go in
> logic_error::what() / runtime_error::what() instead?

1)  /All/ of the exceptions thrown by the library will have their what()
    strings requested if the user doesnt catch them.  (Verbose termination
    handler is on by default.)
2)  Translating strings by default might be an interesting feature, but one
    that I would hate to spring on an unexpected user.  (See "Golden Rule".)

Once the library starts searching its own message catalogs by default, this
might be an interesting extension to add, enabled by user request.

Phil
P.S.- I have a better patch, but bindtextdomain still isn't being called.
      Something I'm not understanding about the global c_local object.