Re: namespace issues with old C headers

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 09:57:52AM +0200, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> Joe Buck <jbuck at synopsys dot com> writes:
>
> | On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 08:47:21PM +0200, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> | > The standard isn't silent: It explicitly says that a standard header
> | > can include another standard header.
> |
> | And this leads to accidental portability problems.
>
> Yes, and the following is *known* not to be portable:
>
>   #include <iostream>
>
>    int main()
>    {
>       std::cout << "Hello World\n";
>    }
>
> No need of assert() to demonstrate the problem.

Sigh.  If you wish to pedantically dismiss something that has been a
huge productivity problem, fine.  (any real program is going to
use its arguments, so dinging me for not including them in a quickly
typed example is just bogus).

Failure to include <assert.h> when using assert() has broken dozens
of nightly builds in our group.  It would be nice to have some
solution for issues like this.

I respect your expertise, but some of us need to get work done.