Problem in installing gcc

Hello:

I am new to gcc and libstdc++. I am using Red Hat 7.3
with gcc version 2.96. I have include <string> and
want to use wstring in my C++ program but when I
compile it, it states that : `wstring' undeclared
(first use this function).

I think my standard c++ library is not updated and I
have downloaded gcc-3.2.1 and I use 'make bootstrap'
and 'make install' to install the gcc again. But I
fail to compile my program as well. I notice that in
the directory /usr/local/include, there isn't any
directory call g++-v3/ .

Can anyone give me any suggestions on it? Am I
configuring the gcc wrong?

Thanks a lot!

Carmen