Re: web page status

Thanks for your kind comments.

> > Jonathan Wakely posted a patch to add the DOCTYPE headers to the files,
>
> That'll be this one:
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/libstdc++/2002-09/msg00149.html
>
> > so that they can be viewed offline.  I never checked in the patch due to
> > the skydiving accident.  My only question is what will the web server's
> > preprocessor do when it sees a DOCTYPE already there?  I'll try to
> > investigate that, but don't hold your breath.
>
> Since the server seems to be ignoring the libstdc++ pages anyway, applying
> the patch at the URL above will make the pages valid, period.  It saves
> figuring out how to make the server preprocess the libstdc++ pages (I seem
> to remember Phil and Gerald accusing each other of being responsible :) and
> makes the pages valid offline too.

OK. Thanks for the low-down. Can this patch get checked in ASAP then?

> In the long-term, if the pages should match to the main GCC wwwdocs and be
> pre-processed to add the headers, then maybe there should be a way to add
> similar headers to the sources and generate docs for offline viewing?
> (If there isn't a way to do this I might have just given myself something
> else to do. Oops)

There should always be a way for people to view docs off-line. That
capability is of major importance.

It sounds to me that the best solution is to just add the headers to the
sources and don't do any on-the-fly processing.

-benjamin