Re: [libstdc++] libstdc++/7691, pass -Wabi, sanity checks

> > > Hmm. The other option is just having people use CXXFLAGS directly, and
> > > removing this enable flag.
> > >
> > > ie
> > >
> > > make CXXFLAGS="-fnot-an-idiot -fbigger-magic-wand" all
> >
> > The advantage to the enable switch is that such flags are remembered
> > for subsequent rebuilds, if necessary.  (It was originally added to help
> > rebuild libgcc, back when that was needed.)
> >
> > I don't have a big problem with removing it altogether.
>
> Keeping the --enable-cxx-flags (better: making it actually work and
> then maintaining it) helps to identify subtle issues regarding how
> an installation has been built. I remember situations when building
> libgcj failed simply due to some aggressive optimization flags used
> for building libstdc++. Defining CXXFLAGS on the "make all" command
> line works, but later on it may be difficult to remember how the
> stuff had been built. FWIW, a similar flag might be useful for the
> other runtime libraries, too.

I've used it too.

It's generally useful, so I think it should work.  I don't have any
great ideas about how to do this, but would prefer not to have
"arg1:arg2:arg3" type strings.

Maybe somebody should ask Alexandre Oliva why white space quoted string
literals get munged...

-benjamin