Re: HTML docs

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 06:07:26PM +0100, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 10:57:03AM -0700, Janis Johnson wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 08:45:28PM -0400, Phil Edwards wrote:
> > >
> > > This is in now.  I think we're actually moving towards something called
> > > xhtml eventually, so there will probably need to be more changes in the
> > > future by somebody who understands it.
> >
> > GCC web pages are expected to comply with XHTML 1.0 Transitional.  Look
> > for "Changes to the web site" in http://gcc.gnu.org/contribute.html,
> > which tells how to validate web pages.
>
> Ok, I can start whipping the libstdc++ pages into shape.
>
> Currently the libstdc++ pages don't have the XHTML header added, because
> they aren't in XHTML. If I start XHTML-ing them, they won't be valid unless
> they _do_ have the header added, and unless all are changed at once then
> some will need the auto-header and some won't.
> To workaround this, should I explicitly include the XML version decl, XHTML
> DTD and namespace decl until all the pages are converted, and then remove
> the headers from them all at once and enable the auto-headers?
> Or will the libstdc++ pages not use the MetaHTML stuff?
>
> What's the best way to proceed here?

When I sent that message I didn't realize that the libstdc++ pages don't
yet use XHTML; I thought I was just pointing out a policy that already
applied to them.

Gerald Pfeifer went through the pain of converting the GCC web pages a
few months ago.  He's offline for a couple more weeks, but perhaps
Joseph Myers, the documentation co-maintainer, can let you know how to
proceed, and whether that's really necessary right now.  I've copied
Joseph on this mail.

Gerald had help with the conversion to XHTML and there are occasionally
reports about pages that don't comply, so you can probably find help
from people with XHTML expertise.

Janis