Re: wide character issues with gcc 3.2

> Gcc 3.2 on linux compiles and links our app, but -fshort-wchar doesn't seem
> to be working completely.  The compiler directive 'L' converts character
> strings properly, and wchar_t is the right size.  The problem is that
> "basic_string<wchar_t>" still thinks everything is 4-bytes.

...because the library has been compiled without this flag, for
starters. You'd have to pass it in with CXXFLAGS, or configure with
--enable-cxx-flags="-fshort-wchar"

See:
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/configopts.html

There are additional issues with wide character support on BSD's, as
some of the underlying "C" library bits for C99 support in wchar.h,
wctype.h, are not implemented, but try to get this working on linux
first would be my suggestion.

-benjamin