Re: char_traits patch, round two

Martin Sebor <sebor@roguewave.com> writes:

| Benjamin Kosnik wrote:
|
| >>The standard does not have direct support for strings expressed as
| >>arrays of "unsigned char".
| >>

| > Yep. The standard only specifies char and wchar_t specializations for
| > std::char_traits.
|

| Because of 21.1.1, p2? I always thought 21.1, p1 required the primary
| template to be defined as well (not just declared).

My understanding of that paragraph has always been that the two
specializations are mandated (I mean their definitions) -but- it
doesn't require the definition of the members of the primary template
(only their declarations are described).  And in effect, there is no
meaningful way to define them without making extra-assumptions that
have proven in the past not always to meet all users' expectations.

-- Gaby