Re: libstdc++ licensing question

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 07:13:20PM +0400, Michael Fimin wrote:
> Hi, I have a question regarding GCC standard C++ library licensing.
>
> I going to use libstdc++ in my comercial project.
> My program will not be covered by GPL license (the source code won't be
> provided) and I'm going to distribute libstdc++.so (Solaris version)
> with my program. Is this legal?

You should consult a lawyer before making a deep commercial commitment.
Violating the license may lead to your being forbidden to distribute
your program, if the license-holder of libstdc++ (the FSF) chooses to
pursue the matter.

The license on libstdc++ is weaker than the GPL, but it still places
requirements on you if you distribute it.   I believe the easiest way
to meet those requirements is to ship the libstdc++ sources you program
uses on the same CD with your program.  Be sure that the version you
ship is *identical* to the one your program is compiled against.

Nathan Myers
ncm at cantrip dot org