Re: reducing needless normal_iterator usage in vector

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 03:32:07PM +0200, Paolo Carlini wrote:
> Something I would really like to understand better is how all of this
> depends on the optimization switches specified at compile time: naively,
> I hope that at -O2 the differences in the generated assembly are much
> smaller.

Even better:  with enough inlining turned on, the differences /disappear/
(jump labels being the exception).  But then so do nearly all of the
function calls.  I was hoping to speed things up in the case where the user
still wants to retain debugging information.  And I will be the first to
admit that this is not a very important case.

> Also: could we learn from all of this something general to
> suggest to the compiler guys?

Between this, and Nathan Sidwell's response to
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2002-07/msg00051.html, my suggestion is,
"Keep up the great inlining work!"  :-)

Phil