_G_USING_THUNKS + Sparc

Why do we set this to zero on Solaris systems?

I don't understand how all of this is supposed to work.
Don't we control how the whole thing is layed out because
we build our own libio?  Or is there some other dependency
with how the system C library implements things?

I'm investigating some libstdc++ sparc-linux failures
and noticed this anomaly.