Re: [RFC] 27_io/ios_manip_basefield.cc

> The LWG has tentatively declared the ambiguity "not a defect".  For the
> case of hex numbers, the first exposition above is unambiguously correct.

Really? I agree it looks prettier, but I think the standard is very
ambiguous on this issue. Am I missing some discussion? I only see
Howard's initial post.

The wording in question is:

22.2.2.2.2 - num_put virtual functions
16- For integral types, punct.thousands_sep() characters are inserted into
the sequence as determined by the value returned by punct.do_grouping()
using the method described in lib.facet.numpunct.virtuals

It sounds like "the sequence" is defined to be just digits, excluding
showbase info. Is this correct?

> For octal, either of the above should be parsed, and either may be
> produced.  I lean toward the first, for consistency with the hex case,
> but whichever is simpler to code is fine.

I agree, consistency would be fantastic for output.

> Of course.  Which is more readable:
>
>   a34682983792cd3e
>   a346 8298 3792 cd3e

Ok, this makes sense, thanks for the example.

Paolo, can you post your patch for this? It sounds like you've already
finished implementing the correct approach.

-benjamin