Re: Patch for porting-howto.xml

Phil Edwards <pedwards@dmapub.dma.org> writes:

> > > Also, how do I regenerate porting-howto.html?
> >
> > Dunno.
>
> The question has never come up before.  Usually Felix sends me a patch to
> both the XML and HTML versions, and then I check them in with a message like
>
>     2001-11-05  Felix Natter  <fnatter@gmx.net>
>
>         * docs/html/17_intro/porting-howto.xml:  check in v0.9.4
>         * docs/html/17_intro/porting-howto.html:  regenerate
>

> >From the generated HTML, it looks like some DocBook tool is being used.
> (Felix?  Help us out here?)

this is explained in a comment at the top of porting-howto.xml:

<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="docbook-xslt/docbook/html/docbook.xsl"?>

<!--
  This is written using docbook 4.1 xml. HTML is generated using
  the xslt-stylesheets from http://www.nwalsh.com.

  xsltproc is an xslt-processor included in libxslt:
  (http://xmlsoft.org/XSLT/ or here:
  ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/unstable/sources/libxslt/)
  (it requires libxml2: http://xmlsoft.org
	or here: ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/stable/sources/libxml/)

  You can find the latest version of this document here:
  http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/17_intro/porting-howto(.html|.xml)
-->

It requires that you download the xslt-stylesheets for docbook 4.x xml
(from http://www.nwalsh.com). Once this is done, simply run `xsltproc'
(part of the libxslt-package).

> I suggest adding a line or two to docs/html/Makefile, which exists for
> just such occasions.

I doubt that this makes so much sense because

1. hardly anyone has the xslt-stylesheets installed
2. xsltproc is just one option. there are many other xslt processors
available, and because of the "<?xml-stylesheet" processing-instruction
(and the comment) it is trivial to find the corresponding stylesheets
(most xslt-processors will find out about this without requiring the user to
specify it)

But if you want to I can supply a patch for docs/html/Makefile tomorrow.

--
Felix Natter