reference counting in string's allocator, where else?

We have been running into problems (core dumps) with the allocators in string not being thread safe when using the 2.95.2 and 2.95.3 gcc builds.

After reading though the FAQ I saw several questions as about this fixed or not.

I didn't anything beyond recommending the usage of __USE_MALLOC to correct the problems.  The USE_MALLOC also has more problems associated with it.

Are the other allocators written to use the same caching allocations?  It would seem so from the faq.

If they are, do they exibit the same threading issues?  (I.E. core dumps on linux?)

Sorry if this is a repeat, but I couldn't find a message that completely answered my questions.

Thanks!

--
Andrew Lundgren
Andrew.Lundgren@level3.com