Re: Problems with the new concepts checking code (boost)

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 12:51:51AM +0200, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> Phil Edwards <pedwards@disaster.jaj.com> writes:
> | On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 11:48:36PM +0200, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> | > Thanks.  Please make sure the library doesn't use identifiers in
> | > user-namespace, that is using glibcpp_function_requires for example is
> | > not right.  Thats is why the library has always been "uglified".
> |
> | Oh, I took care not to step on toes, at least I hope I did.
>
> The following does not work
>
> 	#define function_requires 1
> 	#include <vector>
>
> 	int main() { }

Okay, I must admit I never thought of anything quite that evil.

> | All of them expand into things which are
> | fully-qualified by the boost namespace; we never use any 'using' statements
> | of any kind.
>
> CPP has no notion of `using' -- it just has no notion of C++ scope.

I know.   My point wa-- hmm, actually, my point just became moot in the
face of the twisted example you provided above.  (Yes, yes, it's perfectly
valid and not really evil, it's just in user-namespace...)

Before I make a sed sweep through the headers to prepend underscores,
let me get some input on a related question: should we keep all of this
in namespace boost, given that we're about to rename every class and
every function?  Is it time to make some "GNU C++ extensions" namespace
(called glibcpp, glibcxx, gnu_cxx, etc[*]), sequester the concept-checking
code there, and remove occurances of "boost" entirely?

As much as I'd hoped to keep our version in line with the still-maintained
original, I don't think that the code should be uglified AND kept in
namespace boost.

Phil
[*]  heh heh heh... "namespace _" would be well outside user-space...