Re: patch: <bits/localefwd.h> with -fno-exceptions

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 09:55:04PM -0800, Nathan Myers wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 12:57:51AM +0100, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> > Please also think of embedded environment where size still matters. Not
> > being able to compile a simple C++ program because even essential header
> > files include bits/localefwd.h is a severe limitation in the use of this
> > library.
> > I agree that __STL_THROW et al makes the code much more difficult to read.
> > If there would be a better support for "no exceptions" then there could be a
> > better solution (i.e. be able tell the compiler to ignore throw/catch
> > statements).
>
> I agree that -fno-exceptions should cause the compiler to ignore
> exception declarations.  I don't know why it doesn't already.

I was just thinking about this over the weekend...

A "C++ without exceptions" could be useful in more than just embedded
targets.  In addition to having -fno-exceptions ignore the exception-related
code, we'd also have to have a multilib build for the library.

Phil