Re: <cctype> and namespace std

On 10 Apr 2000, Roman Belenov wrote:

> Hello,
>
> <cctype> from libstdc++ puts symbols like 'toupper' to namespace
> std. Does standard actually require it ? Latest public draft says
> nothing about it (it specifies that the content of files like <cctype>
> should be identical to correspondent C header with some changes, but
> nothing is said about namespaces).

See 17.4.1.1, paragraph 2:

# All library entities except macros, operator new and operator delete are
# defined within the namespace std or namespaces nested within std.

Also see paragraph 4 of the same section.

By the way, the above is from the final standard, which you can get
  from www.ansi.org. (That's the American National Standards Institute; I
  could not figure out what organization handles ISO standards for
  Russia.) Last time I checked it was US $18 for the electronic version
  and US $305 (ouch!) for hardcopy.

(Also, see http://www.research.att.com/~bs/iso_pressrelease2.html)

[snip]