Re: libstdc++-v3 copyright holder change

On Mon, Mar 20, 2000 at 10:28:23PM -0800, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:

> The company formerly known as "Cygnus Solutions" has deeded all work
> on libstdc++-v3 to the Free Software Foundation. Henceforth, the
> copyrights on all relevant files will be the GPL with a copyright
> statement similar to:
>
> // Copyright (C) 2000 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

This is a big change!  The previous license was a relaxed-LGPL,
appropriate for a template-based library.  The result of the change
is that in real projects where, before, I could use libstdc++-v3,
now I can't.  Is this a "done deal"?  Placing it under the (L?)GPL
makes it effectively like the old Bison license.

If only the line referenced changed, and not the license text, then
the description, above, of the change is (fortunately) inaccurate.

Before transferring the work, we should get an agreement from the
FSF not to impose a more-restrictive license.

Nathan Myrs
ncm@cantrip.org