Re: wstring commented out in egcs-1.1.2 C++ library

> To: Mike Stump <mrs@windriver.com>
> Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 15:28:12 -0700
> From: Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com>

> Bzzt.  Wrong.

I was unsure exactly what I said that you thought was wrong...

> The problem is it relies on a lot of code which doesn't exist on a
> number of popular unix systems.  There was a tread on this issue a
> long time ago.  Basically someone needs to write the necessary
> support code for libiberty that can be included when the host system
> doesn't provide proper wide char support.

Hum, to me backporting to gcc, means, doing the appropriate autoconf
exploration of the target system at build time to know if the code
will compile, and arrange for code that otherwise would not compile,
to compile.  That might mean a simple #if HAVE_NEEDED_W_FUNCS around
the whole thing, or that might mean implementing the needed functions
in libiberty if they are not found.  I don't see this as that big a
deal, but I realize it is big enough, as we don't autoconf for
inhibit_libc, and I think we should.  It is one of the more common
types of problems, some people face, and I _hate_ to see that problem.
I think it just reflects poorly on the software.  Anyway...

If you meant that this work hasn't already been done in libstdc++ v3,
then, we'll I never meant to claim it was done and did mean to include
it in the back port work.