Re: splitting up docs dir (was Re: Doxygen - another sample, preliminary comments)

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 04:05:22PM -0800, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:

> This email I found quite sane. I agree that duplicating two identical HTML
> docs files are nasty. Could one be read-only (ie, pushed out and unable to
> be modified) and one be read-write?
[...]
> >         b)  occasionally push them to wwwdocs and live with the
> >             inconsistency, or
>
> I could live with this.

I'll start by removing the files I've listed below from v3/docs, and making
new 'html' and 'doxygen' subdirectories.

Then we need to move the remaining HTML ("inner" technical documentation)
pages/subdirs to the 'html' subdir.  Do we want to preserve history or not?
(Doesn't matter to me.)

Somebody Else should probably handle the * -> html/* move... The
shift to wwwdocs has taught me, among other things, that my
"directory-manipulating-CVS-commands knowledge fu" is weak.

> >     4)  when users ask the hard questions, we would refer them to the
> >         "inner" pages on their local disk, since those are the ones we are
> >         constantly updating (assuming they're using cvs)
>
> Yuck. Go HTML!

Well, the idea was to refer to "file:///${V3-srcdir}/docs/html/foo.html"
instead of the web server.  The stuff they'd be reading would still be
rendered HTML.

(I suppose they /could/ read them with less(1) if they wanted to... we do
occasionally have some interesting comments in the HTML...)

Phil
P.S.- Someday I'll tell y'all about my good friend Seamus, who wrote all
      his comments (html, c++, etc) in haiku, back in undergrad days.