Re: V3 PATCH: Use -rpath, not --rpath, when testing

On Oct 30, 2000, Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com> wrote:

> We're building and linking a program, and it involves shared
> libraries, and libtool is supposed to be good for that, right?

Yep

> Something like:

>   libtool -mode=link [-all-static] -rpath $LIB_PATH ...

> I thought libtool by magic changes the -rpath into whatever is
> appropriate for the target.  Isn't that right?

That's right.  But -rpath is supposed to be listed *after* the
compiler name.  Ditto for -all-static, but I wouldn't recommend using
it; on too many platforms, it causes linker errors because libc or
some other relevant library is only available in shared form.  -static
is more advisable, but even that isn't needed.

As long as you link with libtool libraries, you shouldn't even need
-rpath; libtool will figure out the right `-rpath' flags by itself.