Fwd: Re: makefiles aren't passing variables "correctly"

As Steven pointed out, common defines and macros have moved up the
Makefile.am heirarchy, from src/Makefile.am to ./Makefile.am.

The reason for this is that

src/Makefile.am
libio/Makefile.am
libsupc++/Makefile.am

have a lot in common (and thus had a lot of duplication.) I felt like
it was in the best interest to try and consolidate some of this stuff.

I still do.

Unfortunately, I must be missing a key piece because I too am having
problems. I've noticed that if I start off builds

/mnt/hd/ahimsa/bld-x86-gcc-3
make all-target-libstdc++-v3

then everything is ok. But, if I go into

/mnt/hd/ahimsa/bld-x86-gcc-3/i686-pc-linux-gnu/libstdc++-v3
make all

Then things are not ok, and in particular GLIBCPP_INCLUDE_DIR and the
necessary includes for the "C" headers are gone.

I'm not quite sure what to do.

-benjamin