Re: adding 'g++-v3/cshadow' to cpp search path...

In article <20000822221720.B24998@rcfile.org>,
brent verner <brent@rcfile.org> writes:

> I'm setting this up so the shadow directory, tentatively named
> cshadow, will contain _all_ shadowed headers (from shadow and cshadow
> from the current libstdc++-v3 build) and live within the current
> installed g++-v3 include directory. It should be very simple to
> change the name from cshadow, however.

Hi Brent,

My comments are triggered off the phrase: ``current installed g++-v3
include directory''.

(1) Any solution *must* allow checking the build tree in-place before
    final installation.

(2) It must not matter if a previous version of gcc is installed in
    the target location (as expressed by --prefix and the more exotic
    configure arguments).

(3) Other than getting files from a different directory, the fully
    bootstrapped compiler must behave the same before and after
    installation.

(4) Merely building a new compiler must not affect any installed
    compiler.

I raise these issues only because when I started playing with
libstdc++-v3, there were minor issues in areas (1) and (2).  I fixed
all I knew of last I could build v3 (another issue entirely ;-).

FYI, when I was trying to resolve the -I mess last time, Jeff Law said
that it is OK to create a staging directory in the build tree that
mirrors the final install location, if you need to.  Sorry for being
so wordy, but you asked for comments before you do work in this
area...

Final meta comment: I wouldn't mind seeing all the -I hackery going
away (including all that I last added ;-) by seeing a fully staged
version of include being built.  However, it is not my place to make
this decision.

Regards,
Loren