comments about install-sh

hi,

  recently I though I'd hosed my whole system (headers, anyway) since
even after a 'make install' I still couldn't build anything with g++.
basically, I tracked this down to the fact that the gcc/install-sh
script was not installing the fresh include files over the existing
ones -- I have alias cp='cp -i' in my .bashrc. changing the following
in gcc/install-sh forces the new files to be installed.

cpprog="${CPPROG-cp}"
cpprog="${CPPROG-cp -f}"

(I notice that neither rm no mv specify the -f flag)

I'm really short on time, and I'm not sure if this is a problem with
  1) my environment,
  2) gcc/install-sh, or
  3) libstdc++-v3 is using install-sh (which I doubt from looking
     over install-sh)

If the problem is:
  1), I can remove the alias from my .bashrc, but I'm
     sure I can't be the only person using this safe alias.
  2), either let me know so I can suggest the change
     to the gcc people or you could suggest it yourself.
  3), please somebody fix it :)

thanks,
  brent (who _almost_ reinstalled glibc)

--
Damon Brent Verner                        o      _     _         _
Cracker JackŪ Surprise Certified  _o     /\_   _ \\o  (_)\__/o  (_)