[Fwd: Re: [OT] Comments on Dinkum C++ lib for GCC? ...]

I forward it since accidently not send to the list:-)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [OT] Comments on Dinkum C++ lib for GCC? ...
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 04:19:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dietmar Kuehl <dietmar_kuehl@yahoo.com>
To: lfarkas@mindmaker.hu

Hi,

--- Levente Farkas <lfarkas@mindmaker.hu> wrote:
> Dietmar Kuehl wrote:
> > ... but then, libstdc++-v3 is, with respect to
> > conformance, the worst library I have tested in the last three
> > month (I have tested STLport, Dinkumware, CXXRT, and libstdc++-v3).
>
> who can be stlport better the v3 ? stlport is based on sgi's stl,
> isn't it ?

STLPort is based on SGI's *complete* standard C++ library, not only on
the STL part. libstdc++-v3 "only" uses the STL part of the SGI
implementation, not the other parts, eg. IOStreams, locales, valarrays,
complex, C library, etc. As I have pointed out in my previous answer,
my judgement on the conformance is based on my testsuite which mostly
tests locale and IOStreams features. That is, it tests portions of the
library which are not shared between libstdc++-v3 and STLport. ... and
those areas seem to be pretty buggy in libstdc++-v3: I have run my
testsuite on libstdc++-v3 and it reported 127 problems which is more
than any other library has reported.

> and v3 includes sgi's bugfix and more. if stlport contain bugfix of
> sgi's code that it'd be useful to integrate into v3...

STLport contains bugfixes which are not integrated into the SGI version
as far as I know. I don't know who maintains the SGI version such to
ask whether the problem I have reported to STLport and which are now
fixed there are also fixed in the SGI version (BTW, although I also
consider STLport to be competition, I reported bugs to STLport because
there were only relatively few bugs to be reported and I wanted another
library which I can use to test my testsuite).

Regards,
  Dietmar

=====
<mailto:dietmar_kuehl@yahoo.com>