Undefined reference to _IO_file_open. Why?

Hi there!

Sorry, I'm new to this list and the libstdc++ thing in general so this question might sound silly to you but I don't know what to do anymore. Here's the problem:

My current libstdc++ (2.9) that is installed on my Linux system (SuSE 6.0 based x86 Linux with glibc 2.0.7 and kernel 2.2.14, binutils 2.9.5.0.15) seems to have problems with all that is related to iostreams (software that uses it crashes with a segfault or doesn't compile at all). Therefore, I downloaded a new GCC (2.95.2) and the latest official libstdc++-v3 snapshot 2.90.8.

Then I compiled GCC 2.95.2 and used libstdc++-v3 as a drop-in replacement for the one that comes with GCC. After compiling ("make bootstrap"), I ran "made check" and everything worked fine, no error at all. GCC 2.95.2 works perfectly, too.

However, after installing the new libstdc++.so as the standard library, a configure for most software fails when it tries to link a C++ test routine. The error is "undefined reference to _IO_file_open." Can you tell me what's wrong here?! I've found the IO_file_open routine in the libio path and I simply "removed" it just to see what happens (there's a #ifdef definition there, I used the #else path instead). After compiling the library again, th error message above disappeared but it now has an "undefined reference to _IO_getfile_info" instead...

What is this? Can you help me?! Oh, my configure-flags for GCC were:
--prefix=/usr --enable-shared --enable-threads --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Stefan.

IhrName@web.de, 8MB Speicher, Verschluesselung - http://freemail.web.de