re:compilation problem

 > From: Benjamin Kosnik <bkoz@redhat.com>
 >
 > Jeeze. . . nobody seems to be reading the install/configure
 > documentation. Can somebody explain to me how we can make this more
 > obvious?

I _did_ read the docs, although perhaps I misunderstood it. I really
am trying not to be a newbie (although apparently with limited
success).

 > http://sourceware.cygnus.com/libstdc++/documentation.html

Right. So: trying to build with 2.95.2...

Unzipped the gcc 2.95.2 sources into /opt/src/gcc-2.95.2.

( gccsrcdir = /opt/src/gcc-2.95.2 )

 mv libstdc++ libstdc++-v2
 mv libio libio-v2

Copied the libstdc++-v3 tarball into gccsrcdir; un-tar'd it; made a
symlink from libstdc++-v3 to libstdc++.
( libsrcdir = /opt/src/gcc-2.95.2/libstdc++-v3 )

 ./configure --prefix=/opt/gcc3 --enable-languages=c++

Works fine.

 make bootstrap MAKE="make -j2" -j2

proceeds merrily along until:

 printnow.c              ..linked
 configure: error: can not find install-sh or install.sh in .. ./..

 > http://sourceware.cygnus.com/libstdc++/install.html

This is the document I've been following; as far as I can tell, I've
done what it says to do. Maybe I'm doing something stupid (wouldn't be
the first time!), but whatever I'm doing wrong, it's not obvious.

I really would appreciate any help / hints / insight you might have.

Dave Steffen                      Wave after wave will flow with the tide
Dept. of Physics                    And bury the world as it does
Colorado State University         Tide after tide will flow and recede
steffend@lamar.colostate.edu        Leaving life to go on as it was...
							- Peart / RUSH
"The reason that our people suffer in this way....
is that our ancestors failed to rule wisely".   -General Choi, Hong Hi