Re: general development question

> 1) Which version of gcc/g++ are you using for development? binutils?

Generally, 2.95.2 is probably your best bet. I am actually using CVS gcc,
but picking a date when the compilers are aligned and bootstrapping is a
bit of an art (See May 1, May 7, May 21 if interested).

That being said, there are significant advantages to using CVS gcc:
1) warning/error messages are considerably more sane, and getting saner
2) more things work on the g++ side
3) configuration is easier (--enable-libstdcxx-v3)

> 2) Do you use any specialized tools/software to assist in development?
>    I'm currently using vim + cscope + ddd/gdb for my hackings.

g++ + emacs + gdb

One of these days there will be a great class browser on linux. Not today
though. . .

> 3) [started question about a TODO list, then I found:]
>        http://sourceware.cygnus.com/libstdc++/17_intro/TODO
>    Is this file up to date?

Not really.

> 6) Is there a quick way to rebuild the library after modifying one
>    of the files? I've been saying 'make clean-target libstdc++-v3'
>    then 'make' in the $builddir... I hope there is a faster way :)

in your build directory, say you want to re-make misc-inst.* you would:

cd src

make misc-inst.o
make misc-inst.lo

> 8) anybody around Raleigh up for a beer sometime?

I'm in Durham this week, but actually work out of San Francisco/SoMa the
rest of the time......

-benjamin