Re: general development question

on Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 09:34:30AM +0200, Martin v. Loewis typed aloud:

Thanks for your answers!

| > 3) [started question about a TODO list, then I found:]
| >        http://sourceware.cygnus.com/libstdc++/17_intro/TODO
| >    Is this file up to date?
|
| Almost, it seems. However, I just noticed that you seem to look into
| using libstdc++ v3 for development. Please understand that libstdc++
| v3 is under development itself - you may be better off using the C++
| library that comes with gcc 2.95, unless you want to contribute to
| libstdc++ development (which, of course, would be appreciated).

of course I'd like to contribute. I do have a project that I'm
developing with libstdc++-v3, but there's no rush :), so I'd like
to contribute to _this_ project in conjuction with mine... it's
all part of a grand learning scheme ;)

| > 5) (Briefly) How different is the dec 96 working draft from the final
| >    standard? i.e., should I be studying it, or should I wait until
| >    I get my hands on the standard before burying my head?
|
| If you need to learn C++, use the Stroustrup book, not the
| standard. If you need to know for sure, don't use the draft. There are
| only few big changes, but there are lots of little things that may
| burn you. It would be really better if the copies of that draft were
| removed from the net.

Extra thanks for this! I know of one copy that can be 'rm -rf'd --
mine :) Being relatively new, I'm most susceptible to being burned
by those 'little things'.

  Brent

--
Damon Brent Verner