Re: enabling -O2 with gcc 2.96 and later

> And in our case, it isn't trivial to come up with a minimal test.
> But, point is taken for future release.
>
> I'm afraid that for Monday, we don't have enough time left to change
> the test... unless someone volunteers to contribute...

Well, what kind of test could be done other than picking out one of the
triggering source files, calling the compiler, and looking for an ICE?
I will certainly agree that

      | The general idea behind autoconf appears to be that it tests for
      | features, not for specific versions of software.

but I'm not certain what feature we could test for other than the ICE
itself -- yes, didn't you know that ICEs were "features"?  :-)  More to
the point, I don't see what test we could apply /in this specific case/
that wouldn't be faster and just as accurate as checking for the version
number, since the ICE under 2.95.2 seems to hold true on all platforms.

(If you reply to the list, please don't cc another copy to me.  Thanks!)
Phil