Re: enabling -O2 with gcc 2.96 and later

"Martin v. Loewis" <martin@loewis.home.cs.tu-berlin.de> writes:

| > | I did not follow this closely, but I think checking version numbers in
| > | autoconf is morally wrong.
| >
| > Please, can you expand on this?
|
| I was hoping that the autoconf documentation supports me more in this
| matter than it does; perhaps I'm overly critical here.
|
| The general idea behind autoconf appears to be that it tests for
| features, not for specific versions of software.

[...]

I see.  Thanks.

| > | ... What is the reason not to use -O2 in
| > | earlier versions? Something is miscompiled?
| >
| > Compiling v-3 with gcc-2.95.2 -g -O2 produces an ICE.
|
| I'd agree that this is difficult to test for, because gcc 2.95 will
| crash for many reasons.

And in our case, it isn't trivial to come up with a minimal test.
But, point is taken for future release.

I'm afraid that for Monday, we don't have enough time left to change
the test... unless someone volunteers to contribute...

-- Gaby