Re: Thread-safe libio

> "Alain Magloire" <alain@qnx.com> writes:
>
> > If I remember correctly, f{try,un,}lockfile() were introduce *with/for*
> > threading by posix.  I did not see any OS that provides flockfile()
> > whitout support for PThreads.
> >
> > flockfile provides opaque reference counting.
>
> First, flockfile was introduced in POSIX but not necessarily for
> PThreads.

Ok I will not argue, but it was my understanding that flockfile,
getc_unlock, putc_lock etc .. was introduce in Posix for threading,
I don't see there usefullness in a single thread.

If you mean that they don't have to be implemented on top of the
propose Posix API threads, Ok.

> Second, I was talking about the interface which is
> available in libio already.  It would be a big mistake to introduce
> yet another interface.  How the flockfile functions actually must be
> implemented depends on the platform.

Good points.  So you're suggesting to use this for I/O only
or for all the stdc++ classes ?

--
au revoir, alain
----