Fwd: gcj can not import packages

Matthias Klose doko@ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 18 20:40:00 GMT 2017

On 18.01.2017 21:28, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:

> Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> writes:
>
>> On 16/01/17 22:58, Bill Chatfield via java wrote:
>>
>>> From the link, it looks like it would be correct to say that gcj is
>>> the *only* open source way to bootstrap OpenJDK.
>>
>> OpenJDK can bootstrap itself.
>
> It can bootstrap only with pre-built binaries, though.  The only route
> that doesn’t involve these binaries is by using GCJ.
>
> I would be happy to be shown that this is a misunderstanding.

yes, you need some trusted binaries.  For example, there are various Linux
distributions which provide these binaries.  And even if you want to build for a
target that doesn't have binaries, you can first build a native openjdk on your
build platform, and then cross-build for your target.  I built several Linux
architectures this way ...

Matthias