Re: why I think SWT should be built from eclipse

Why I think SWT should be built from its own source package:

  * SWT is a library in itself, and can and does exist outside of Eclipse.
  * SWT is used by other applications besides Eclipse.
  * If SWT were in the same source package as Eclipse,
    a RC bug in Eclipse would hold up SWT.
  * SWT is in main, whereas Eclipse is in contrib.

If Eclipse needs patches applied against the released version of SWT,
then they should be so applied. This does not require maintaining an
entirely separate copy of SWT in Eclipse. Likewise for the security
argument. Do not maintain a private copy of the library; rather, use
the shared copy.

  * As we have SWT in the archive anyway having a second SWT in Eclipse
   increases maintenance work when a critical/security bug gets found.
   Then the Eclipse maintainer needs to update "their" SWT or in case
   of a stable release the security team needs to update more than one
   copy of SWT.

Cheers,
Shaun