3.3 configure static

Erik Poupaert erik.poupaert@skynet.be
Tue Jul 8 23:47:00 GMT 2003

Is there a way to fix gcj 3.3 so that configure static on Linux would work?
The only way I know today of deploying an application on Linux, that consistently
works, is to install the 3.3 compiler itself on the target machine.

It is quite unfortunate that this configure option does not work on Linux, while it
does on Windows. But then again, on Linux one could still gloss over it ...

By the way, on Windows such problem would be complete showstopper.

In my impression, the ability to create truly self-contained executables is the one
and single unique benefit to using GCJ on Windows.

No other compiler for a Java-like language can do that. The JDK cannot do it and
Visual Studio.NET cannot do it either. It is important that such benefit is unique,
because comparing performance, startup time, or anything else can be very subjective.
This benefit is fully objective and truly unique.