Regarding Jar Support

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Mon Jul 7 17:57:00 GMT 2003

>> My name is Mingjui Liao and I would like to contribute to the GCJ
>> project I have been readin the gcj project list. I am interested in
>> implementing the jar support for GCJ. Does this feature still need
>> to be implemented?  If yes, can someone elaborate on the
>> requirements?

>> The project list only specifies: "modify gcj to obey the
>> constraints layed out by the jar file manifest file."

>> So which part needs to obey the constraints layed out by the jar
>> file manifest file?  gij? or is it the java.util.Manifest?

I don't really know the answers to these questions.  Maybe Mark
Wielaard is reading and does.

I know that there are things in the jar MANIFEST that we don't handle,
for instance if the package is cryptographically signed.  One approach
would be to read about what support is required for MANIFEST files,
then see if libgcj implements all of it correctly.  Ideally this would
come in the form of a series of Mauve tests.  Finally you could
implement whatever pieces actually are missing...

I hope this helps.  Tell me if you need anything else; I like to try
to help people work on libgcj.