patch to bring java vtables closer to g++ abi conformance

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Wed Jan 23 14:02:00 GMT 2002

Per> My goal for dynamically loaded classes is to use a JIT.  That
Per> will make stack traces etc correct.

FWIW, I think there are environments where an interpreter is more
appropriate.  For instance, memory-limited devices which still want to
dynamically load bytecode.

I've looked a bit at integrating the ORP JIT(s) into libgcj.  In fact
I started writing `orp.cc', but I had to put it aside; there are other
things higher on my priority list.  One major problem I haven't yet
investigated fully is that of telling the runtime about JITed code for
the purposes of exception handling.

We could easily build things so that we have pluggable JITs.  The
existing interpreter could be just another (fallback) plugin.