Re: A java DEBUG flag

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 24, 2000 at 12:19:07PM +1300, Bryce McKinlay wrote:
> Mark Wielaard wrote:
>
> > If we used something like
> > System.getProperty("gnu.java.io.serialisation.debugging") to set these
> > constants (you can even do that in an interface)
>
> I don't think so ;-)

What don't you think so?
What I meant was something like the following:

interface I {
    boolean SERIALISATION_DEBUG =
        Boolean.getBoolean("gnu.java.io.serialisation.debugging");
}

> > then at runtime the
> > user could do a -Dgnu.java.io.serialisation.debugging=yes to turn on
> > the debugging. (It should at least be an option to have these 'constants'
> > compiled in so they can be set dynamicly at runtime IMHO.)
>
> We'll do that as well. To get the debug output you'll have to configure with
> "--enable-libgcj-debug" _and_ set the runtime property. But we do want to
> have the compile time constants in order to ensure there is _no_ overhead
> from the debugging code for an optimized build.

OK that is fair. But I would really like to see a solution that generated
a interface like I did above so that you could dynamicly turn it on and
a compile time configuration option to turn the above interface into

interface I {
    boolean SERIALISATION_DEBUG = false;
}

But I think the default should be that you can dynamicly turn the debugging
code on.

Cheers,

Mark