porting libgcj to PalmOS

Tom Tromey tromey@cygnus.com
Wed Dec 29 11:10:00 GMT 1999

>> 2) building a suitable libgcj for the PalmOS: I've already started
>> modifying some of the config files of the libgcj, trying to figure
>> out how libgcj works and builds (there is not a lot documentation,
>> you know)

There is some documentation on porting libgcj, but it is mostly
concerned with the parts you say you don't want to port :-(.
Unfortunately porters are assumed to be autoconf experts as well.  The
good news is that we're happy to provide advice.

Alex> You'll have to ask details to the libgcj maintainers on how
Alex> libgcj relies on C++ global ctor/dtor.

There are a few variables in libgcj that rely on global constructors.
These must be run before main().  I thought gcj generated some code
like this, too, in some situations?

Alex>   - Does libgcj allocate more than 32K at a time?

Probably not, but I'm not 100% sure.

Alex>   - Does libgcj deliberately uses stack frames bigger than 5K?

Again, probably not, but of course user code can do basically
anything.